[Bell Historians] Grassendale

D Cawley dave at d...
Thu Aug 29 13:16:57 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

Thanks for this, can't think why I just don't remember the articlem, which =
I shall at once rectify. Anyway, it explains why JPF refers to everything =
being much the same as in his previous visit, also Dove's accurate weight. =
JPF noted that Nicholl's supplied a new set of ropes in 1921 - "very dirty=
and hardly ever used" ! DC
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Chris Pickford=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: 29 August 2002 12:08
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Grassendale

There was a good account of Grassendale bells by Peter Furniss (who lives=
nearby and maintains occasional contact with the church) in RW 9 Dec.1988 =
p.1157. The bells were retuned by G&J in 1938, but rehung dead - in the old=
fittings - as a chime. 17 peals were rung there between 1909 and 1927.

By the sound of it, the status - chime or "lost ring" - does stretch defi=
nitions a bit

Peter told me - when I was in Liverpool earlier this year - that the chur=
ch had no interest in having the bells restored for ringing.

CP
----- Original Message -----=20