Bells with extremes of size and weight

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Sun Dec 1 16:00:09 GMT 2002

In connection with a significant new theory I am concerning the
effect of higher partials on the sound of bells, I am interested to
know of peals or single bells which are heavy, light, long or short
for their pitch. This has been covered in the past on the list but I
am afraid I did not take careful note at the time.

I am only interested in extant bells which I could record and
measure. Examples (to avoid you telling me about them again!) are:
for heavy bells, the tenors at Wells; for light bells, the tenors at
Dunham Massey; for short bells, Castleton; and long bells, the
trebles at Kingston, Dorset. More examples like this would be very
helpful to the work I am doing.

Bill H