[Bell Historians] Clocks

Ron Johnston R.Johnston at b...
Wed Dec 4 14:48:31 GMT 2002

Reply from my colleague who is an expert on the history of clock time

Dear Ron,

In many ways, the question is asked the wromg way round! IIII
was the standard notation on turret clocks, domestic clocks and
watches, as indeed it was for the writing of Roman numerals in
medieval documents.
Even when IV makes headway (as it is doing in early modern probate
inventories, for example), IIII remains standard usage on clock dials.

So perhaps the expected answer is "it didn't"

On the other hand, IX is standard from the first domestic clocks, and
VIIII hardly used, if ever.

Best,

Paul