[Bell Historians] retention of old bells

David Bryant djb122 at y...
Sun Dec 8 13:51:44 GMT 2002

> What about the 5 old bells in the cloisters at Worcester Cathedral?
> They were part of the old ring that were used at another church and
> then returned to the cathedral.

The distinction here is that they were saved for reuse elsewhere, though
rather than for purely antiquarian reasons. As I recall the treble of the
eight had been given to a Victorian church in Worcester, and was returned
when that church was demolished, the 2nd had been stolen, the 4rd, 4th, 6th
and 7th went Didlington Norfolk, and were returned to Worcester in the 80s.
These are the five on display. The tenor is at Staincliffe, Yorkshire
(details in Greenwood's 'Wakefield Diocese'). Anyone know what happened to
the 5th?