[Bell Historians] St Saviour's, Leicester

D Cawley dave at d...
Tue Dec 10 00:49:39 GMT 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

Leicester, St Saviour

The church is still in use, and still in good condition; a noble example of=
Sir Gilbert Scott's work. The Rector is Fr Alan Hawker, as pleasant a per=
son as you could wish, and who much regrets the loss of the bells two incum=
bents ago.

The sad story very briefly is that the church did need to raise money at a =
critical time. The then incumbent had no time for ringers (he subsequently=
came to St Mary's and tried to stop ringing here) and disliked bells. The=
y had been the subject of increasingly adverse reports, the last dated 1982=
, by which time they were 105 years old with only TLC bestowed on them. Th=
ough not condemned by the founders, the bells were silenced on that pretext=
, and within two years had been sold to Taylors. With all those other bel=
ls lying around they were the most vulnerable of Leicester's lost bells, bu=
t they weren't broken up until there just was no room and no takers.

Taylor's actually recommended the parish to sell the back 7 and leave the t=
reble as a service bell, and there were other offers to take them out at no=
cost to the parish and purchase them at scrap value - all of which was ign=
ored or rejected. The parish got =A314K for the bells, spent =A32.5K on ge=
tting them out and then a further sum on purchasing from E&S a 3-cwt Eijsbo=
uts bell, hung for swing chiming with a lever. The remaining money was spe=
nt at was admittedly a critical time in the life of St Saviour's.

The frame and many of the peal boards remain in the tower.

DLC=20

----- Original Message -----=20