[Bell Historians] St Saviour's, Leicester

John Greenhough <j.greenhough@w...> j.greenhough at w...
Fri Dec 13 16:44:07 GMT 2002

I was informed last night by E&S that the small bell they provided was
one of a pair of JT bells they acquired that were in store in the
former school of Holy Innocents, Fallowfield, Manchester. The origin
of these bells is unknown; their details I have as 1862, 7 cwt and
1914, 10 cwt.

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "D Cawley" <dave at d...> wrote:
> Leicester, St Saviour
>
> The church is still in use, and still in good condition; a noble
example of Sir Gilbert Scott's work. The Rector is Fr Alan Hawker, as
pleasant a person as you could wish, and who much regrets the loss of
the bells two incumbents ago.

> The sad story very briefly is that the church did need to raise
money at a critical time. The then incumbent had no time for ringers
(he subsequently came to St Mary's and tried to stop ringing here) and
disliked bells. They had been the subject of increasingly adverse
reports, the last dated 1982, by which time they were 105 years old
with only TLC bestowed on them. Though not condemned by the founders,
the bells were silenced on that pretext, and within two years had been
sold to Taylors. With all those other bells lying around they were
the most vulnerable of Leicester's lost bells, but they weren't broken
up until there just was no room and no takers.

> Taylor's actually recommended the parish to sell the back 7 and
leave the treble as a service bell, and there were other offers to
take them out at no cost to the parish and purchase them at scrap
value - all of which was ignored or rejected. The parish got £14K for
the bells, spent £2.5K on getting them out and then a further sum on
purchasing from E&S a 3-cwt Eijsbouts bell, hung for swing chiming
with a lever. The remaining money was spent at was admittedly a
critical time in the life of St Saviour's.

> The frame and many of the peal boards remain in the tower.
>
> DLC

List. To unsubscribe from the list send an email to
bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com

Service.