[Bell Historians] more questions

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Wed Dec 11 22:03:25 GMT 2002

In a message dated 11/12/2002 21:06:51 GMT Standard Time, djb122 at y...
writes:

> 2) Roughly, when did fabricated steel frames start to become quite popular?
> At some point in the past few decades, I think, and in many cases because
> they can be built on a DIY basis.

Fabricated steel frames were popular a lot longer ago than the last few
decades.
The 1903 Mears frame at Lyminge has T section steel at the bottom & top of
the framsides & double flat plates riveted together with spacers as braces.
It looks very slender but is as solid as a rock!
Many bellframes were fabricated out of RSJ's & RSChannel by Warners around
1910 for example: Bath SS Micheal & Paul (1912), King's Sombourne (1911) &
Marston Bigot (1912). Interestingly, I noticed yesterday, that the steel used
in the Marston frame came from Scotland, London & the W Mids.
Several other types of steel frames were used by Warners, the Cantilever type
(St Mary de Lode, Gloucester & Nunney spring to mind) & another with heavy
steel plates such as Somerton.

I'm sure CJP will wipe the floor with me & tell you a whole lot more on the
subject.

Matthew