[Bell Historians] Re: One-bell towers

andrewmbull <a.bull@s...> a.bull at s...
Thu Dec 12 11:26:34 GMT 2002

I think that might be the Great George in Bristol's Wills building of
the university - the bells having the same name might be what has
confused you. There was an article in the Ringing World about this
bell being rung a little while ago.
I believe that Great Paul in St Paul's Cathedral in London, the
heaviest bell in the UK, is also hung for swinging, but by electric
motors.

Andrew Bull

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, Carl S Zimmerman
<csz_stl at s...> wrote:
> OK, then *I* am confused (and apologetic). Which British tower has
> an extremely large (I dare not write "enormous") bell hung only for
> swing-chiming? On some very special occasion within the last year
or
> two, it was so rung by a team of several people in the belfry.
>

> At 01:05 +0000 2002/12/12, Ben Willetts wrote:
> >Me:
> >
> >Carl Zimmerman:
> >> Have you confused the Cathedral with the Municipal Buildings?
> >> "Great George" in the Cathedral isn't hung dead (though it
> >> doesn't swing full circle, either).
> >
> >Er, no. I haven't confused anything. Until recently I used to
live in
> >Liverpool and I am still a member of the Cathedral Guild of
Ringers.

> >Great George, the nearly-15-ton bourdon bell at Liverpool's
Anglican