[Bell Historians] Assistance required

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Mon Dec 16 17:03:10 GMT 2002

At 00:53 -0500 2002/12/14, laithbells at a... wrote:
>“We have located a 20” C.S. Bell & Company steel bell with a No. 4
>yoke and we require: (1) supply of, or details of, the normal base
>on which this yoke and bell would have swung; (2) a suitable
>clapper, or if not available, the design of such a clapper and
>details of the metal normally used; (3) advice as to where such a
>bell would have been used, e.g. locomotive, industrial, etc; (4) any
>originals or photocopies of C.S Bell & Company catalogues published
>by the Company; (5) the information as to whether its successor
>Company is still in existence and how we might make contact.”

Quoting from one of my Web pages:

The largest American producer of iron or steel bells was probably the
C.S.Bell Company. This firm was established by Charles Singleton Bell
in the town of Hillsboro, east of Cincinnati. Using a special steel
alloy called "crystal metal," this firm produced bells of all sizes
from 12" diameter postmount farm or dinner bells to 48" diameter
church bells. An annual "Festival of the Bells"
(http://www.hillsboroohio.net/upcoming_events.htm) there celebrates
this history. The modern descendant of this firm bears the same name,
but has moved to Tiffin, in northwest Ohio, and no longer makes
bells. (They do, however, still use a logo of an iron postmount bell:
http://www.csbellco.com/.)

Addressing your specific questions:
5&1) See last link above.
1) Generally speaking, American-made steel bells and associated
fittings carried size numbers 1-7 for postmount bells of diameters
from 9 to over 24 inches. Sizes 2-4 (12 to 20 inches) are most
common.
Larger sizes are rare because such bells more commonly were
mounted on a pair of cast-iron A-frames, in which case the
approximate diameter of the bell (in inches) was used as a size
number on the bell and its fittings. (Most American steel bells
carry no markings at all, though some makers did put the size number
on the top of the bell, especially on larger bells. Only the
fittings carry lettering.)
2) The original suspension for your bell would have been an eye bolt
through the top of the bell and the center of the yoke, with the eye
serving as the support for the clapper. The clapper would have
consisted of a length of soft iron rod, perhaps 1/4" in diameter,
with a pear-shaped iron ball cast on the bottom end. The top end
would have been bent into a hook or open loop for attachment to the
eye of the support bolt. Sometimes it is clear that this must have
been heated in a blacksmith's forge in order to be bent closed (or
nearly so) after it was hooked in place; after cooling it could not
be removed.
I am not aware of any source for old American bell parts. The
very few American dealers in used bells typically supply complete
fittings. However, it is possible that someone might have some extra
parts available. See http://www.brosamersbells.com for one
possibility.
3) A postmount bell was designed to be mounted at the top of a
timber post. Most often, such a post was located outside the rear
door of a farmhouse, with its base sunk in the ground. But
occasionally one is seen mounted on an extra-tall fence post, or on a
bracket on the side of a building. Typically they were used to call
farm workers to meals, hence the terms "dinner bell" and "farm bell".
But occasionally they were put to other uses--I have seen them inside
tiny cupolas atop small, poor country churches. One can imagine them
used similarly for a one-room schoolhouse, but so few of those have
survived that I have not actually seen such an installation.
4) I cannot help with this.

If you have more specific questions, I would be happy to try to answer them.

--
=Carl Scott Zimmerman= Co-Webmaster: http://www.gcna.org/
Voicemail: +1-314-361-5194 (home) mailto:csz_stl at s...