Taylor & Harrison

Mr J Greenhough j.greenhough at w...
Wed Feb 13 18:00:14 GMT 2002

a friend not on this chat list sent me this comment:

People don't seem to appreciate that Taylors and Mears were probably more
interested in designing a bell more for its for change ringing dynamics
rather than the musical affect.
Take Imperial Institute, in a picture I have the front bells are very tall
and long, and the larger bells are short and squat (as is Dunham Massy).
All used to be in timber headstocks.
I'm sure that if we still used timber headstocks we wouldn't have Simpson
tuned bells. Even Harrison says that his bells are easier to ring because
they don't hang out as far.