[Bell Historians] So called 'Simpson' tuning

David Bryant djb122 at y...
Sat Feb 16 13:56:01 GMT 2002

Bill said:

> I clearly need to read the Jennings book to get chapter and verse on
> the
> first Simpson contact in 1894. It has been suggested that Jennings
> wanted to
> prove that Taylors got there first, it would be good to see the
> documentary
> evidence.

I've now re-read the chapter, and it does say that there ia lack of
documentary evidence for the cricial years. It also says that a number
of trial bells were cast during investigation into the behaviour of
partials, but it doesn't say what happened to these - were they sold on
or were they broken up? A very interesting question.

Incidentally, I've got photos of the Taylor trebles of a number of rings
of 10 and 12 cast from 1885 up into modern times, and I'll stick the
more important ones on the photos section of the Yahoo page. Despite the
fact that the photos are taken from varying angles (H-frames
particularly are not camera-friendly!) they clearly show the evolution
in profile which took place from the 1880s up until the 1930s.