Kingweston, and aluminium bells

oakcroft13 bill at h...
Sun Feb 17 21:49:58 GMT 2002

What struck me about the picture of the Kingweston bell was the way
it was mounted on the headstock. With such a flat crown, I could
imagine the headstock damping any vibrations in the crown. Bob Perrin
has published a paper on the effect on bell timbre of crown damping
and large bosses on the top of the bell. If anyone is interested, I
could dig out the reference (I have a copy he sent me the other day).

On the subject of aluminium bells, I visited the Paccard foundry in
Annecy a couple of years ago. They had a complete range of aluminium
bells (dozens, all different sizes) on racking down the side of the
moulding shop. My French is not brilliant, my knowledge of French
bell-fouding terms non-existent, but I finally discovered that they
no longer strickle bells but use the aluminium 'false bells' to
construct both cope and core. Inscriptions are made of wax and stuck
on the 'false bell' before the cope is formed around it.

Bill H