Light front ends-St Peter,Bolton,Lancs

fartwell2000 fartwell2000 at y...
Fri Feb 22 22:56:31 GMT 2002

St Peter,Bolton has a twelve with a tenor of 19-2-0 and a treble of
two and three quarter cwt-which I personally consider to be light for
a twelve of this weight.
The back eight are from The Saviour,Deane Road,Bolton(I do not have
records of the founder),but the treble,2nd,#2nd,3rd and fourth were
cast by Taylors in 1974 from metal of the front seven of the previous
ring of eight(tenor retained dead for chiming).
Blackburn cathederal also has relatively light trebles,but they are a
fine ring(and in recent years less odd struck due to work by James
Hustler and others).
There was talk of making them a twelve a few years ago,but I think
this would have been a mistake as the present trebles are a little
indistinct at times as a ten
Alan