[Bell Historians] Converting frequencies to notes

LOVE, Dickon DrLove at s...
Fri Jul 12 14:00:55 BST 2002

"The trouble is that there is absolutely no consistency. Some rings are
described as one or the other, and some as one only. Db could indicate
nearer to D and C# nearer to C, but in practice as far as bells are
concerned they seem to by used in a rather arbitrary manner."

I know that the practice is arbitrary locally, but we are talking about
exact pitches here, so it needn't be. I wonder what grid today's foundries
use. I guess that they work on a standard 13 note chromatic scale, similar
to that used by Bill. Is Andrew Higson on this list?

DrL

SchlumbergerSema.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or
copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify the SchlumbergerSema Helpdesk by telephone on +44 (0) 121 627 5600.