[Bell Historians] Converting frequencies to notes

LOVE, Dickon DrLove at s...
Fri Jul 12 15:08:55 BST 2002

"I seem to have put the cat among the pigeons with that little
spreadsheet, which wasn't the intention at all, I just (no pun
intended!) thought it might be useful."

Thanks for your comments. I didn't mean to belittle your spreadsheet at all.
In fact, I was going to raise this subject of 12 versus 21 anyway, and you
gave me a brilliant means to do so.

If there is no standard definition of the frequencies of all 21 pitches,
then that is fine. Either one is produced for the purpose of a particular
exercise, or one sticks to the admittedly simpler definition such as the one
you have come up with. I like the idea of quoting tenor pitches as [Pitch]
plus or minus so many cents. That way, when Aspland and Bryant argue over
the pitch of Leeds tenor, a more precise, yet quite unambiguous reply may be
given. (Of course, one could dispense with the letter of the note altogether
and just quote frequencies, but that would be tantamount to describing tenor
weights in kg!!!)

DrL

SchlumbergerSema.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or
copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify the SchlumbergerSema Helpdesk by telephone on +44 (0) 121 627 5600.