[Bell Historians] Converting frequencies to notes

John Paul Adams J.Adams at u...
Fri Jul 12 15:11:25 BST 2002

Bill H:

>> This is why I have always thought about frequencies in Hz only. But
>> it seems there is a real demand to know the note name as well

Maybe this is the same as the metric/imperial argument? I am quite good at
temperatures in F, but have little idea of how hot temperatures in C are
(that is degrees, not notes).

Likewise with notes, I have a rough idea of what they are, but Hz are quite
meaningless apart from the obvious cross over points. Hence, I would find
Bill's Excel spreadsheet very useful is converting Hz into a ball park
figure note.

It's what you've been brought up on, and how easy it is to correlate
between two different systems.

John

--
John Paul Adams, Medical School IT Support Section,
University College London, London, WC1E 6BT.