[Bell Historians] Taunton

David Bryant djb122 at y...
Tue Jul 16 11:28:48 BST 2002

Mark Humphreys wrote:

> > I don't know, and to be honest I don't really care. I gave them my
> > advice on what to do if it went ahead, so it's up to them whether or
> not
> > they take it if the project goes ahead.

> Is it not still your home tower?

Not really. I've no intention of going back there even when I finish at
university. York Minster is my home tower now.

> I don't understand how it's possible not to care. What was your advice? What else might they do?

My advice was to stick with 30 cwt, rather than reducing the weight -
the tower will move whatever is put in it. I suggested they go for
Taylor's both because they were the cheapest and because I prefer Taylor
bells to anything else. I don't know what else they might do, but
keeping any of the existing bells or fittings is not a good idea, and I
advised replacing the lot, just keeping the oldest bell (11th) as a
service bell. To that end, I had the staple roots removed from it a
couple of years ago because they were rusting badly.