[Bell Historians] St John-the-Divine, Leicester

D Cawley dave at d...
Mon Jul 29 16:11:09 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

St John's: The lower part of tower was coverted into flats, and whatever t=
he belfry was, the floors were destroyed by fire last December - i.e. nothi=
ng left of the bell installation whatever.

St Mark's, as stated a chef d'oeuvre of Ewen Christian, ws sold years ago t=
o the City Council when the dear old CofE found, after closing and gutting =
it that they couldn't demolish it. It has been through a number of sales,=
this one to an Asian businessman who I understand has hopes to turn it int=
o a qualuity restaurant and community centre. At least he has done more wo=
rk to stablilise it in the last couple of months than has been done by its =
supposed guardians, ecclesiastical and civic, in the last twenty years. I =
am due to visit next week and will update my previous information as necess=
ary.

St Nick's. I gave the wrong note for the tenor of the 3 old bells, it's B =
- a minor 3.

DLC
----- Original Message -----=20