[Bell Historians] St John-the-Divine, Leicester

David Bryant djb122 at y...
Mon Jul 29 16:19:21 BST 2002

Dave Cawley wrote:

> St Mark's, as stated a chef d'oeuvre of Ewen Christian, ws sold years ago to the City Council when the dear
> old CofE found, after closing and gutting it that they couldn't demolish it.

Ah, so they left it to deteriorate in the hope that eventually it would
get a dangerous structure notice served on it and then they could
demolish it. This was done with St Mary Bishophill Senior, York, a
church with work from every period from Saxon to Victorian.

Incidentally, I've contacted the Wakefield diocesan office asking for
permission to look inside the tower of Christ Church, Todmorden. No
reply as yet, but it was only a week ago I asked. I believe that they
are still trying to sell the church, with the suggested use being
warehousing. It's not in a very good state of repair though, apparently.
Michael Wilby tells me that the frame grillage is still there, and
possibly the Ellacombe as well. The church is a large and unexciting
building by Lewis Vulliamy, situated outside of the town centre. Its
bells are of course now at Towcester.