[Bell Historians] St John-the-Divine, Leicester

David Bryant djb122 at y...
Mon Jul 29 22:11:26 BST 2002

Dave Cawley wrote:

> I rang in one of the last touches at Towcester before the bells were removed - a fine ring. Never saw them
> in the tower. Of course, they're a great success at Towcester. What was the final disposition of the three > chime bells ?

They're superb at Towcester! The extra treble was recast as 4/12 at
Towcester - it was the right note but a different profile which could
have created problems, so it was recast. The flat 2nd was tuned down a
tone and is the tenor of the light 8 at St Mary's, Todmorden, and the
sharp 5th became 5/6 at Newchurch-under-Needwood, Staffs. This church
subsequently became redundant, and the bells were moved to St Chad's,
Burton. THey have since been augmented to 8.

> It would be good to see a write-up of Bishophill Senior in the comic.

I've written an article one the lost rings of York, which has been
submitted to the RW and will hopefully be pubslished before too long.
It's also on the web at
http://www.bryantd.fsnet.co.uk/articles/lost_bells.htm
More information can be found on my York bells site at
http://www.bryantd.fsnet.co.uk/york/index.htm