[Bell Historians] St John-the-Divine, Leicester

D Cawley dave at d...
Mon Jul 29 16:55:55 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

I rang in one of the last touches at Towcester before the bells were remove=
d - a fine ring. Never saw them in the tower. Of course, they're a great =
success at Towcester. What was the final disposition of the three chime be=
lls ?

As stated, a rather unexciting building as many of Vulliamy's were. One of=
his best is St Michael, Highgate with a thumping great Mears bell in it; a=
nd there was a carbon copy at Christ Church, Woburn Square near the UL Sena=
te House. This was supposed to have 8 bells for chiming but neither G&J, T=
aylors or WBF claim any knowledge of them or their disposal. The church we=
nt piecemeal in the late 60's.

The decision to go back to the old parish church at Todmorden was surely a =
right one, and I gather the little Taylor ring there is very sweet. St Mar=
k's was a very different story - an "embarrassing" church - prominent posit=
ion, good track record, and so forth, but it did not fit in to the new Team=
set up.....

Twenty years on and they've just forced the closure of St Mark's "twin", St=
Paul's, Kirby Road (1: 32" JT 1872, a duplicate of St Mark's treble). The=
reasons given differ somewhat from reality.

It would be good to see a write-up of Bishophill Senior in the comic.

DLC
----- Original Message -----=20