[Bell Historians] re:Southampton bell foundry

David Bryant djb122 at y...
Wed Jun 5 22:37:05 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

Nobody seems to have replied, so I'll make some comments, for what they're =
worth!

It seems pretty likely that we're looking at an itinerant bellfounder. Can =
you get a more exact date for the pit? Probably the best place to start is =
to look at the present bells and any records of former ones in any nearby c=
hurches - the churchwardens' accounts may name founders. If the founder of =
any bells which may have been cast locally can be identified, this may answ=
er the question. It really needs someone with knowledge of the bells in the=
Southampton area, which I don't have and I don't think we have anyone from=
that area on the list - can anyone suggest any local bell enthusiasts who =
may be able to help?

David
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Andrew Russel=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 12:31 AM
Subject: [Bell Historians] re:Southampton bell foundry

Archaeological excavations in Southampton have found a rectangular bell c=
asting pit, in which at least 6 bells seem to have been cast.It was big eno=
ugh to do two at a time. Date is probably 17th/18th century. Does anyone kn=
ow of a Southampton bell maker, or bells in the area that might be from one=
? Could the Salisbury foundry have set up a base in Southampton for a speci=
fic job? Any clues welcome!=20
Dr Andy Russel
Archaeologist

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20