[Bell Historians] re:Southampton bell foundry

Andrew Russel andrew.russel at b...
Wed Jun 5 23:19:11 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

Thanks for that. I have found a good site by Steve Noyes on the Isle of Wig=
ht bells www.noyes.org.uk/iw/towers
which list the towers and bells on the Island. The older bells, 17th centur=
y mostly, come from Chertsey, Salisbury, Gloucester, and Romsey, but there =
are a few by 'RB' and 'Anthony Bond' whose foundries are not known it seems=
, and there is a John Higden who moved around as well.

I now have two documentary references to bells being cast in Romsey, where =
archaeologists have found two foundries of the right date but no evidence o=
f bell production, and good archaeological evidence of a foundry in Southam=
pton but no written records. C'est la vie!=20