Re (2): [Bell Historians] Re: Thin Bells

michael_wilby michael_wilby at y...
Fri Jun 28 10:08:18 BST 2002

SI
> Whatever the names, C256 is in fact _lower_ than A440 (=C261.6).
(It is sometimes
> referred to as 'philosophical pitch' because of the powers of 2
involved.)

My mistake - yes that is obviously the case. I had taken the "fact"
on trust without looking at it properly. This does put a different
complexion on what I had previously thought!

> Relative to C256, Towcester at 650cps would be E + 13 cents.

Without reaching for a calculator, what is the change in key
reflected by the shift in pitch from "old" to "new"?

...and does this offer an explanation for Jim Phillips' frequent
outbursts about "Taylor pre-war D-flats tuned with forks being
different to post war C-sharps tuned with machines better suited at
making doughnuts", or whatever it is... :-)

When being transferred to Peterborough Cathedral, St John-the-Divine
bells (Taylor 1902) were described by Foundry Focus (RW) as being E-
flat old concert pitch. Is this correct? Also, Newport Cathedral
(originally Taylor 1913) are often quoted as being 21-2-20 in D - is
this stricly-speaking E-flat old concert too?

MPAW