[Bell Historians] Bell recordings

George Dawson George at d...
Sun Mar 3 09:31:01 GMT 2002

charset="Windows-1252"

----- Original Message -----=20
From: David & Mary Kelly=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2002 7:32 AM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Bell recordings

Everytime I think of something useful to add Bill gets there first!
All I can say is that I use a Camcorder and have found its response to be=
excellant for the tonal analysis of bells.
What might be even more surprising is that we have done some bell analysi=
s where the sound has been transmitted live over a mobile telephone to our =
PC in the office (OK home) and that still produces very good results for an=
alysis. However the frequency range is limited to approximately 300-3500Hz =
so one can miss low and high partials.

Finally the work Bill has done in this field ceases to amaze me. He has t=
aken our understanding of bells to a greater level. Keep it up Bill you are=
doing an excellant job.

For those who are interested about bells, we (Keltek Trust) have just acq=
uired 9 ex-Trinity House buoy bells (see www.keltek.org ). It don't think i=
t will be too long before some are hung for full-circle ringing. Any one kn=
ow of buoy bells being hung for ringing before?

Dave

I thought all buoys bell were hung for sounding by swinging!
GAD