Unknown founder's mark

oakcroft13 bill at h...
Thu Mar 7 22:16:33 GMT 2002

Robert:

> I have posted a photo of a founders mark

No-one else seems to have replied . . .
A drawing of a similar mark appears in Lincolnshire Bells and
Bellfounders, and there is a photograph of a similar mark, much more
neatly executed, in Sussex Bells and Belfries. In the Lincolcshire
book it is mark 12 on page 310. Unfortunately there is no index to
marks (that I can find) so it is not easy to find out which bell it
comes from. Perhaps John Ketteringham can search the text of the book
for you?

In the Sussex book, a similar but better executed mark appears as
item d in plate XI on page 48. Elphick says it appears on Catsfield
treble and tenor. I infer from Elphick's text that he considers these
bells to be 14th century, though he does not state this explicitly.

Rather vague answer I'm afraid, hope it is of some use.

Bill H