A speculation about Taylors, profiles and true-harmonic tuning

oakcroft13 bill at h...
Fri Mar 8 23:50:43 GMT 2002

Here's four thoughts, taken together, that lead to an interesting
speculation:

1) David Bryant tells me that Taylors changed their profiles in the
middle / late 1920s.

2) Steve Ivin reminds me that to talk about tierce tuning is a
misnomer, the position of the tierce relative to the nominal is
really set by the design of the bell and the tuner can't do very much
about it on the tuning machine.

3) The investigation I did the other day showed that Taylors still
had sharp tierces in 1913.

4) Looking at single bells (I don't have enough recordings of
complete peals yet), two bells from 1921 (Kingston, Dorset) have
sharp tierces, bells from 1928 (Newcastle Cathedral), 1931 (Bromham)
and 1934 (Hazelbury Bryan, Dorset) all have flatter tierces very
close to the minor third. Scably, N. Yorks (3 bells, 1961) and
Tewkesbury Abbey (12, 1962) also have the minor third tierces.

I wonder if the profile change in the '20s was needed to get the
tierces to the theoretical value?

I need lots more recordings . . .

Time for bed!

Bill H