[Bell Historians] uknown founders mark

John Ketteringham john.ketteringham at n...
Sat Mar 9 12:50:43 GMT 2002

Most of the bells bearing mark [12] also have mark [11] which is the 3 laver
pots. The also have the inscription Sum Rosa Pulsata Mundi Caterina
Vocata. The exception of course is the bell which includes the name of
John Potter.

In Lincolnshire Bells and Bellfounders it is suggested that the founder of
the bell at Grimoldby might be the London founder William Chamberlain who
was casting between 1426 and 1456 but this is not certain.

>From John Ketteringham of Lincoln England

web site : http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.ketteringham

-----Original Message-----
From: robert_de7 [mailto:robert_de7 at y...]
Sent: 09 March 2002 09:27
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] uknown founders mark

In the past I have come across different founders being called
founder by name but not taken any notes. I think in the Church bells
of Lincolnshire book it gave a possible name for a william founder.
The bell in question could not have been made by Austin Bracker as at
the start of him founding there is a entry in the inventory of church
bells that there was three in the tower. (papers supplied by Taylors)
So it looks like it was made in the 1400s.
The chevron and laver pots was also a mark of the brazier company in
medieval times.
Can any one also tell me if William Dawe was just founding in London
or did he travel to the churches.
Robert

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To
unsubscribe from the list send an email to
bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com