[Bell Historians] FW: Taylors in the 1890s

Andrew Aspland aaspland at y...
Sun Mar 17 22:50:31 GMT 2002

Would the tuning of Merthyr bells been advantaged by the lathe which could
cut right down in the shoulder/crown - when did Taylors get such a machine?
One reason for my asking is that Headingley bells are about to be rehung
etc. They are not the best peal of eight but I believe a visit to the
tuning machine could make a lot of difference. They are not really as deep
as E - the treble is actually very clos to F but there is a bit of stretch
in the octave. Does anyone know of a peal of bells from Taylors in 1890 that
have been retuned since?
Andrew
PS What do we know of Dobson/Osborn and their attempts at octave bells?

-----Original Message-----
From: David Bryant [mailto:djb122 at y...]
Sent: 16 March 2002 13:48
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] FW: Taylors in the 1890s

Andrew wrote:

> Has anyone seen Merthyr Tydfil bells? What date are they and when were
> they tuned?

I haven't seen them, but they were cast in 1893. They remained at the
foundry until 1896 while the tower for them was completed, and were
apparently tuned again in 1896 prior to despatch. According to Dove the
tenor is in F, so it must have been pretty thick in the first place.

David

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To
unsubscribe from the list send an email to
bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com