Doncaster frame

oakcroft13 bill at h...
Mon Mar 18 16:18:46 GMT 2002

Bryant (on all bells swinging the same way in the frame):

> I think it's called a Doncaster Frame - first used
> at Doncaster in 1858, and probably a Grimthorpe
> invention.

Well, except that almost all bellframes I have seen from the 17th 
century and earlier are built this way . . . Good example from close 
to home is Great Bookham, a four bell long-head frame from 1675 with 
all four bells swinging east-west.

I think you meant to say something different!

Bill H

More information about the Bell-historians mailing list