Steel Bells

oakcroft13 bill at h...
Thu Mar 28 11:35:28 GMT 2002

Bit late with this, but I've been away for a day (working and
recording bells).

I have only analysed one peal of steel bells so far: Chalford in
Gloucestershire. These have the typical Naylor-Vickers sound, on
analysis this proved to be due to wild nominals, and very sharp
primes and hums. As you would expect from their date, the bells were
produced in ignorance of any of the tuning principles we now
understand. Whether corrosion has affected their tuning I wouldn't
like to say.

I came to the conclusion that provided the problem of lack of
resonance was solved with clapper lifters or whatever, a peal of
steel bells tuned true-harmonic would sound OK. However, there would
be lots of work in finding profiles to make this tuning possible. I
can imagine that due to the different qualities of the material,
using bronze profiles would not give the right results. The tuning
errors at Chalford were so large that I would be surprised if they
could be corrected by normal tuning.

As regards rust, didn't I read in the comic years ago - perhaps when
Bootle were being moved to Hale - that spraying steel bells with
Waxoyl (car underseal) stopped them rusting and didn't make them
sound any worse.

Bill H