Clinton Meneely and bell acoustics

oakcroft13 bill at h...
Wed May 1 16:57:32 BST 2002

More on the Clinton Meneely talk from 1935 (link in previous
message). It is such a good read I am going to put it on my website,
if I can get permission. Part of it is a rant against 5-point tuning
(we would say true harmonic). His opinions, which I assume were
voiced primarily to protect his business, were based in part on the
carillon at Albany, which at the time was a 47-bell Taylor instrument
of 1928. Just two extracts will show the style:

On true-harmonic tuning: "some theoretical process of manufacture
which has the same scientific background as some of the expressions
found in modern advertisements."

On playing music on carillons: "to allow the playing of the more
complicated works on a set of bells is a feature of sensationalism
that belongs on the vaudeville stage."

Wonderful stuff!

Bill H