[Bell Historians] Clinton Meneely and bell acoustics

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Wed May 1 18:35:27 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

Good stuff this! It reminds me of the letter written by Thomas Bond, the B=
urford bellfounder, to the Ringing World in 1926 (p.360). On tuning, Bond w=
rote "I believe the whole system [the five-toned principle] is a farce and =
nonsense, and I believe the best results are had, only, from practical expe=
rience on the part of the bell founder"

CP
----- Original Message -----=20
From: oakcroft13=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 4:57 PM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Clinton Meneely and bell acoustics

More on the Clinton Meneely talk from 1935 (link in previous=20
message). It is such a good read I am going to put it on my website,=20
if I can get permission. Part of it is a rant against 5-point tuning=20
(we would say true harmonic). His opinions, which I assume were=20
voiced primarily to protect his business, were based in part on the=20
carillon at Albany, which at the time was a 47-bell Taylor instrument=20
of 1928. Just two extracts will show the style:

On true-harmonic tuning: "some theoretical process of manufacture=20
which has the same scientific background as some of the expressions=20
found in modern advertisements."

On playing music on carillons: "to allow the playing of the more=20
complicated works on a set of bells is a feature of sensationalism=20
that belongs on the vaudeville stage."

Wonderful stuff!

Bill H

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20