[Bell Historians] Re: Basaleg

fartwell2000 fartwell2000 at y...
Sat May 4 19:34:35 BST 2002

--- In bellhistorians at y..., "David Bryant" <djb122 at y...> wrote:
> Alan Wrote:
> > Could the bells perhaps have been used around York?
>
> David Potter's projects have always involved rehanging existing
bells in York, or where 'new' installations are provided any second
hand bells used are always good quality and harmonically tuned. Most
have been by Taylor's, with one lot (St Wilfrid's) by G&J. Despite
what everyone says, the Basaleg bells were not good tonally, and not
worth the considerable effort required to build a frame and hang
them - it would be better to pay that bit extra and get some good
bells. I think that David initally bought them more for the fittings
than for the bells - the bearings and gudgeons were modern and by
Taylor's - but the museum in Sheffield became interested in the
bells. At least they are preserved, and I for one am glad that we
don't have to ring them!

> David

I gather that when the back six at Hale were at Bootle,they were not
of good tone,however after local retuning they sound good now.
I understand that the move to replace the previous fire damaged ring
at Hale with the ex Bootle steel bells was that they were a lot
cheaper than normal bells,and in my opinion,the Mersyside bell
restoration group have done an excellent job at Hale,and to be quite
honest,there is not much difference tonally between the bells at Hale
and a ring of normal bells.
Alan