[Bell Historians] Steel Bells

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Sun May 5 10:54:41 BST 2002

In a message dated 04/05/02 22:06:39 GMT Daylight Time, djb122 at y...
writes:

> But wasn't the aim at Bath at least to hang them without clappers and
> use a simulator?

It was intednded to use them as a base for a ringing centre - the building is
now used as a comunity hall and the ringing chamber is used for storing
boxes. The bellchamber lies empty except for the base grillage of the
bellframe and it was intended to build a bellframe on these as before. There
was no support from the local branch which was then (and still is) in serious
decline from what it used to be.

> On the subject of Bath, I should think the six from there were a real
> loss - 1894 Taylor's and by all accounts of good tone, and in the end
> serving as no more than a supply of scrap metal for Midsomer Norton's
> augmention.

You have to blame the diocese for that - it would never happen these days.
David Purnell told me that he bought the entire Lyncombe installation in 1975
for £500.
Just as a point of interest - the peal boards from Lyncombe (including some
made from slate) are now at St Matthew, Widcombe.

If I had been there - I would have done my best to stop the destruction of
these bells - the only decent 6 in the city - I was 2 years old at the
time:-(

Matthew