[Bell Historians] Re: St Oswald, Durham

D Cawley dave at d...
Mon Nov 4 16:31:14 GMT 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

Yes, it was correct. They are the old 3rd & 5th, 35" & 41" diameter, so th=
e tenor may have been a little lighter than the claimed 17-cwt.

A ring of six cast by Hodson the year after he had finished the Cathedral b=
ells, 2nd recast by G&Co 1885.=20=20=20

The two surviving (disused) bells are Listed. To-day five surviving 17th-c=
entury bells in a ring of six would stand a pretty good chance of all being=
Listed. I wonder why those two bells were chosen in 1977 when the new 8 w=
as put in.

The Hodson tenor had the wonderful inscription:

OSWALDVS MEDEOR FLOREM QVIA GESTO TENOREM

(Assuming 'Oswaldi' for 'Oswaldvs' it seems to mean "I deserve Oswald's flo=
wer because I act as tenor").

DLC=20=20=20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Mike Chester=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: 04 November 2002 14:05
Subject: [Bell Historians] Re: St Oswald, Durham

As far as I know this information is correct. I have a booklet at=20
home about bells in the D & N and will check it when I can. However,=20
I moved home yesterday and it might take a while!

Mike

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20