[Bell Historians] Re: St Oswald, Durham

DJ Bryant djb122 at y...
Mon Nov 4 19:33:54 GMT 2002

charset="us-ascii"

The two surviving (disused) bells are Listed. To-day five surviving
17th-century bells in a ring of six would stand a pretty good
chance of all being Listed. I wonder why those two bells were chosen
in 1977 when the new 8 was put in.

They're in pretty good condition, complete with all their canons -
perhaps of the five surviving they were in the best condition. Did the
other three still have their canons?

As regards listing, perhaps, dare I say it, it's as well they weren't
listed as if they were the church perhaps wouldn't have obtained its
present fine ring of bells. They form a direct contrast to the
cathedral, where the conservationist approach followed has ensured that
the bells are unworthy of the lovely building in which they hang. The
solution adopted at Carlisle, where the old bells have been retained for
chiming and a new ring installed, is a far more satisfactory solution.

The Hodson tenor had the wonderful inscription:
OSWALDVS MEDEOR FLOREM QVIA GESTO TENOREM

Was this reproduced in facsimile on the new bell?