[Bell Historians] Early Warner bells

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Mon Nov 11 10:45:06 GMT 2002

So far as I know, the following is a complete list of all 43 known bells by
"old John Warner". Quite a few have been recast:

1786 Gwennap, Cornwall. Ring of six - intact (cast at Whitechapel - by
Robert Patrick - and supplied through Warner. Recorded in Whitechapel "peals
book")
1787 London, St.Giles, Cripplegate. 37 cwt tenor of 12 - destroyed in
1940 (cast at Whitechapel - by Robert Patrick - and supplied through John
Warner. Recorded in Whitechapel Peals Book)
1788 Strood, Kent. Two bells. Destroyed by fire 1898
1788 Swallowfield, Berks. Tenor - intact
1789 Charlton on Otmoor. Treble of five (now 2nd of six) - intact
1789 Shalford, Surrey. Ring of six - all recast (tenor by Warner 1866,
the rest by Taylor 1936)
1790 Whitchurch, Oxon. Tenor of five. Recast by Gillett & Johnson, 1912
1790 Wooburn, Bucks. Fifth of eight - intact
1791 London, St.Peter le Poer. Four bells. Two recast for Willesden 1912,
and two transferred to St.Peter le Poer, Friern Barnet
1791 Paddington, St.Mary. Two bells - intact
1791 Westminster, Eaton Square Chapel. Single bell - gone
1792 Finchampstead, Berks. Ring of five - intact
1795 Newburyport, America. Single bell (supplied through Paul Revere).
Destroyed 1861
1796 Smalley, Derbys. Single bell - intact
1796 Norwich, St.Stephen. Priest's bell. Recast by Mears & Stainbank 1907
1796 Southwark, Christ Church, Blackfrairs Road. Tenor of eight -
destroyed in 1940
1797 Irvine, Scotland. Single bell - intact
1799 Esher, St.George, Surrey. Single bell - intact
1801 Wick, Scotland. Single bell - intact
1801 Colby, Norfolk. Single bell - intact
1802 Ballynascreen, Ireland. Single bell - intact
1802 Shirburn, Oxon. Single bell - intact
1821 Mullrankin, Ireland. Single bell - intact
n.d. Wexham, Bucks. Single bell. Undated (Cocks says c.1790-c.1812)

Apart from the early bells cast at Whitechapel under Robert Patrick’s
ownership, these bells were probably cast at John Warner’s works (i.e. Fleet
Street – see below) – although I wouldn’t rule out the possibility that they
were cast at Whitechapel under sub-contract. I need to see more of the
surviving bells to form a view on this.

I have yet to search directories thoroughly to see where the firm was
located at this time (addresses and dates). But I do have some extracts:
1765 Warner, John and Tomson, Wood Street, Cheapside
1769-70 Warner, John and Tomson, brass founders, 76 Wood Street, Cheapside
1771-1782 Warner, John and Tomson, brass founder, 108 Fore-street,
Cripplegate
1782-3 Warner and Tomson (sic), brass founders, 108 Fore street
1783-6 Warner, Tomson, Brass founder, 108 Fore street, Cripplegate
1788 Warner, Tomson, Brass founder, 104 Fore street, Cripplegate
1788-90 Warner, Tomson, Brass founder, 104 Fore street, Moorfields
1788-90 Warner, John, Brass-founder, 139 Fleet Street

By 1815 J. and R.Warner were at 8 Crescent, Cripplegate and their
illustrated billhead includes a picture of the works shown as the “Patent
Lead Pipe, Brass &c Copper wire Steam Mills” and the description “Brass
founders in General, Braziers, Engine & Water Closet Manufacturers”. I also
have a copy of a very similar letterheading of T. Warner at the same
address, also in 1815.

All additions and amendments gratefully received, as always

Chris Pickford
15 Golding Road, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN13 3NL
Tel: 01732-456147 or (mobile) 07811-453525
E-mail: c.j.pickford at t...