[Bell Historians] Balscote

Michael Wilby michael_wilby at y...
Mon Nov 11 15:56:59 GMT 2002

Balscote did indeed appear in Dove. Originally a Gillett 6, the bells were subsequently augmented to a 10 with various semitones to produce other diatonic rings. These bells also moved location, within Balscote I believe. When Mr Jarvis died the bells were taken down and unused for several years until Brian White secured them and hung them in Whites workshop in Appleton. They have now been augmented to 12. I think the original six now comprise 6-11 of the Appleton ring (one is now the #9th). There is a recording of the 12 on my website, and details of them on the Rings of 12 site.

Phil is quite right about how they might be classified - personally I do not think they constitute a mini-ring: they are a "normal ring" albeit a small one (if indeed one should draw a distinction in the first place).

The small Dublin ring of the 19th Century were a 7cwt 10 hung in a tower (with spire) in the garden of the architect Francis Johnson. Johnson was also responsible for the 8s at St George's Dublin (now at Taney) and Drogheda - probably several others too, I'm sure someone on the list knows. After his death the bells remained for a while before being dispersed and the tower taken down. Six of them went to Holywood but have been recast since. Fred Dukes' book has much more detail, including an engraving of the tower.

MPAW

--- "P. W. Gay"
wrote:
I think the bells at Balscote appeared in Dove, so suggest looking there for
tenor weight. I'm not sure if the tenor at White's is the same bell - there
have been all sorts of additions to this ring over the years.

My recollection is that the original owner was Charles Jarvis.

Whether it was the first mini-ring depends, as always, on what you mean by
mini-ring. There was a small (tenor less than 2 cwt I think) ring of twelve
in the back yard of a house in Dublin in the nineteenth century.

Phil Gay