Early mini-rings

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Mon Nov 11 18:31:36 GMT 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

Last time this came up for discussion, I draw attention to the following ad=
vertisement in which a light peal of ten - tenor "near One Hundred Weight" =
- was offered for sale in 1802:

Advertisement in the Coventry Mercury of 31 May and 5 June 1802 offering fo=
r sale a model ring of ten bells: PEAL OF BELLS. - To be SOLD, A compleat P=
eal of TEN MUSICAL BELLS, neatly hung on a frame, in an exact Circle, after=
the Manner of Church Bells; with Wheels, Stocks, Stays, Brasses, Caps, Rol=
ers, Salley Blocks, Ropes, &c. The Tenor of Great Bell weighs near One Hund=
red Weight, and all the rest are in the same Proportion - Also an elegant C=
lock, and Hammer to strike upon the Great Bell; with a very handsome guilt =
Dial and Hour Hand. / For further Particulars apply to Mr. Matthew Payne, J=
un, Organist, of Coventry

I'm fairly sure this was a model for the supporting framework of the old te=
n at Coventry, but I'd be very keen to know what became of it. Matthew's m=
essage makes me wonder - though I don't know if the dates match - if this w=
as the ring later installed in Varnham's pub. Any suggestions?

Chris P