[Bell Historians] Dove inexactitudes

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Tue Oct 1 16:18:55 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

DRL sensibly asks: How many weights did Dove himself reduce in this way fro=
m actual to approximate?

Not many - if ever - I suspect. But the frequency with which this occurs h=
as, I think, increased in recent years with more work being done to alter t=
he weights of tenors weighed previously. I guess Ron may have known of a ha=
ndful of examples but not bothered about them, whereas now there are more t=
o worry about.

We went through a period of trying to establish exact weights instead of ap=
proximate. As time progresses the handful of cases we're discussing won't =
be the only ones where we revert to approximate from exact

CP

----- Original Message -----=20
From: LOVE, Dickon=20
To: 'bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com'=20
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 3:22 PM
Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Dove inexactitudes

"Ah, you wish. Such an audit trail might be desirable, but I very much
doubt if it exists. John does keep a record of corrections notified and
made/rejected, but this isn't the same (by any means) as a complete and f=
ull
audit trail of past and present weights."

When I said audit trail, I meant a record of corrections notified and
made/rejected, not the full monty. So if John is notified that Abingdon i=
19 cwt rather than 20-x-x, the fact would appear in his audit trail and i=
20-x-x is subsequently "discovered", John has a record that this is wrong=
.=20

John's starting point at the moment is a list of approximate weights and =
his
audit trail with historical exact weights where advised, which I guess is
probably pretty comprehensive for bells falling in this category? How man=
weights did Dove himself reduce in this way from actual to approximate?

DrL

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the=20
individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are=20
solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of=20
SchlumbergerSema.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received
this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing=
,=20
or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

SchlumbergerSema Helpdesk by telephone on +44 (0) 121 627 5600.
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20