[Bell Historians] Modern day brittish founders

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Fri Oct 4 11:29:04 BST 2002

fartwell2000 at y... writes:

> As most of us know,there are people not connected with the bell
> foundries that have cast bells within the last thirty or forty years-
> namely Richard Bowditch and Arthur Jopp(and also Walter Dobbie?).
> The questions I would like to ask are how many bells have the named
> persons cast and what are the largest bells they have cast?
> I also would like to ask if anyone knows of a bell that Mr Jopp cast
> and hung for ringing for a friend of his?
> Are there any more people that have cast bells that I have not
> mentioned?

Arthur Jopp cast over 50 bells plus numerous handbells. I managed to buy all
of his bellfounding stuff at an auction last year - including his strickles,
3 complete moulds which had never been cast and his vertical tuning machine.
I also bought all his handbell patterns - if anyone would like to use them -
let me know.
Doreen Jopp has the foundry book with the details of all the bells cast
there.
Arthur cast a single bell (½ to ¾cwt) for a neighbour, John Ward, and hung it
for ringing in his garage. I was lucky enough to grab it one day whilst
visiting Doreen & Arthur and became one of about 4 people who has rung every
full circle bell in the village - much to David Bagley's discust! John Ward
moved a few years ago but the bell remains at Stoulton.

Richard Bowditch & myself have cast over 300 bells since 1989. The largest
being the 1½cwt replica medieval bell for St Giles, Pertwood Manor Farm,
Wilts (as used on my letter heading). We have now started casting individual
small bells to G&J profiles which appear to be excellent even prior to
tuning.
There are now over 250 Higby/Bowditch bells hung for full circle ringing!
including 30+ complete rings. I have a full list if you are interested.

The Hayward Mills 8 were cast at a foundry in Stoke on Trent, I believe.

Matthew