[Bell Historians] Prinknash Abbey

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Sun Oct 6 21:47:46 BST 2002

In a message dated 06/10/02 20:45:24 GMT Daylight Time, djb122 at y...
writes:

> The founders could almost certainly hang them to be acceptable as regards
> timing, but they might sound a little weak amongst the back bells.

I think a treble which is just 1lb short of 4cwt would be perfectly
acceptable for a 21cwt tenor. If they sound weak - the hangings are wrong. I
wonder why there is such a large jump between bells 4 and 5 though.

Look at Loughborough Bellfoundry Campanile for a lightweight front end - I
don't think they sound weak at all. Who would suggest installing a 6½ cwt
ring of six with a 1½ cwt treble? Strange how some people say it wouldn't
work!

Matthew