[Bell Historians] Bronze bells for clocking?

slobandito at y...
Thu Oct 10 07:30:50 BST 2002

Thank you for your input.

Is there much difference between Whitechapel and Taylor? Though I
know little about any of the bell foundries, it does appears that
Whitechapel is almost more of a tourist attraction/momento maker.
Other foundries, particularly the Dutch foundries seem far more driven
by technology and production. Just my observation though.

I wasn't aware that cast bronze had a "skin." Would this be a scale
or slagging, or an actual metallurgical difference due to differing
cooling rates on the surface of the casting?

I believe it was Petit&Fritsen who first applied computerized finite
element analysis to bells which, allwed them to do a more accurate and
thurough job of tuning a bell. However I would guess all major
foundries now use FEA, but there have been differing levels of
"tuning" in the past.

The existing bells do sound a bit rough. It will be nice to replace them.

Thanks again.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/