[Bell Historians] Bronze bells for clocking?

David Bryant djb122 at y...
Wed Oct 9 23:16:56 BST 2002

The foundries will all provide bells tuned with true harmonics, and although
there are differences in the tuning of bells by different founders chosing
one is largely a matter of personal preference. Of the two English
foundries, Taylor's are slightly cheaper than Whitechapel; I'm not sure how
the European foundries compare price-wise.

Some of the European founders (e.g. Eijsbouts) tune their bells to a golden
shine. This removes the hard outer skin of the bells, and some suggest that
it makes them more prone to corrosion. Whether this is true I cannot say -
all of the Eijbsouts bells I have seen are relatively new (less than 20
years old) and so haven't had time to corrode much.

Whatever foundry you choose, the bells which they will supply are almost
certainly going to show a big tonal improvement over what you have at
present. The nineteenth century bellfounders were among the worst in the
history of the craft, and unfortunately also the most prolific!