Wells

andrewmbull a.bull at s...
Tue Oct 29 13:22:07 GMT 2002

 Presumably the canons were removed from the two trebles when they
were fitted with iron headstocks, so the exact weights for these no
longer obtain.
As to the 56-1-14 for the tenor, I have long since suspected that
this is Taylors "guestimate" from 1877. Chris Pickford did try to
check this out, but Taylors records for the period are in too much of
a muddle. Whitechapel told me that they rehung the tenor "between the
wars", but did not say whether they actually had it in the foundry
and weighed it. Whitechapel said that the bells had never been tuned.
Anyone have any more details on the tenor weight ?