[Bell Historians] Wells

andrewmbull a.bull at s...
Tue Oct 29 19:38:44 GMT 2002

According to the notes in my "towers grabbed" records, compiled from
Ringing World articles and correspondence with Whitechapel, the tenor
was rehung "between the wars", and in 1946 the remaining bells had
their canons removed in the tower, and were fitted with new metal
headstocks. As you say, it is strange that there isn't an exact
weight for the ninth, though the tenor weight could be seen as having
been rounded to the nearest eighth hundredweight.
Perhaps MRTH could get up there with a large spanner and a set of
industrial scales, like they did at Congresbury ?

Andrew

--- In bellhistorians at y..., DJ Bryant <djb122 at y...> wrote:
> They're ina Blackbourn of Salisbury frame, of 1891 I think, with
the
> treble above the 2nd. If I recall correctly, the headstocks are
> Whitechapel's mark II pattern - when did these come in?
>
> It seems surprising that there is an exact weight for the tenor but
not
> the 9th, particularly as the back two at St Paul's, cast in the
following
> year, were only weighed to the nearest half a hundredweight.
Unless, of
> course, the exact weight was measured by Blackbourn or Whitechapel.
>
> David
>
> On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, andrewmbull wrote:
>
> > Presumably the canons were removed from the two trebles when
they
> > were fitted with iron headstocks, so the exact weights for these
no
> > longer obtain.
> > As to the 56-1-14 for the tenor, I have long since suspected
that
> > this is Taylors "guestimate" from 1877. Chris Pickford did try to
> > check this out, but Taylors records for the period are in too
much of
> > a muddle. Whitechapel told me that they rehung the tenor "between
the
> > wars", but did not say whether they actually had it in the
foundry
> > and weighed it. Whitechapel said that the bells had never been
tuned.
> > Anyone have any more details on the tenor weight ?
> >

> > This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing
List. To unsubscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-
unsubscribe at y...

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/