[Bell Historians] C sharp and D flat

LOVE, Dickon DrLove at s...
Tue Sep 10 10:24:28 BST 2002

"I think it would help clear this one up if people could explain what
they believe the difference between C# and Db to be (this is not a
wind-up but a genuine enquiry). Dickon, you have posted on this a few
times, perhaps you could explain your thinking again."

When I first raised this debate, it was to ask exactly this question. I am
essentially a keyboard player (piano and organ) hence to me, C# and Db are
the same note. HOWEVER, I know that my mother (a music teacher) plays the
viola and would argue that there is a subtle difference. My original enquiry
was "is there an agreed difference and if so, is it defined in terms of
frequency?"

I expect that *a* definition can be constructed from using the tuning of a
piano/organ. I believe that these are not necessarily equal temperament, so
each semitone has a slightly different interval. This is why music in one
key *seems* different when transposed to another (typically lots of sharps
are brighter: lots of flats more somber). I would need to think about this a
little more and do some research into the tuning of keyboard instruments to
do this though. I bet I would discover that keyboard instruments are tuned
as differently from each other as bells are though!

That being said, bells are not keyboard instruments, so I do now wonder
about the point of it all. If (as Bill says) we assume equal 100 cent
semitones, then the + and - approach looks the most sensible.

DrL

SchlumbergerSema.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received
this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing,
or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

SchlumbergerSema Helpdesk by telephone on +44 (0) 121 627 5600.