[Bell Historians] Digest Number 176

Michael Wilby michael_wilby at y...
Wed Sep 11 11:34:53 BST 2002

 --- Ben Willetts wrote:

So my considered opinion as a keyboard AND string musician is that it is
technically more accurate and logically easier to say that there is no
difference between C# and Db when referring to the tenor note of a ring of
bells.

Me:
I also absolutley agree with this, as a keyboard and (lapsed!) string musician. Perhaps we can stick to a convention for classifying the keys of rings, ie A,Bb,B,C,C#,D,Eb,E,F,F#,G,Ab, (probably the most commonly scored keys?) but also be sure to correctly assign the notes of each bell within the ring according to the designated key (eg E# instead of F in a C# ring). Not only is this approach logical, it is easily understandable as it is in line with conventionally scored music. Musicians understand that (on a keyboard) E# relates F; anyone wanting to classify the keys of bells should understand that too.