[Bell Historians] Tenor Weights

Mike Chester mike at m...
Thu Sep 12 12:24:41 BST 2002

> Didn't Taylor's have a policy of only releasing the weight of the
tenor
> of complete rings until the 1960s/70s?
>
> David

I don't know about that, but someone told me some years ago that the
tenor at Helmsley came out at exactly 15cwt after tuning. Someone at
Taylors thought that nobody would take this at face value and it
would ever more be thought to be an estimate. Therefore it is listed
as 14-3-27. Probably an urban myth, but why let the truth get in the
way of a good story!

Mike